Monday, February 6, 2012

An Exciting Event for Language Designers

The date and time have been confirmed, so I can finally announce this officially:

On Thursday, February 23rd at 5:00pm PST I will be holding a very special Language Design hangout on Google+ with my eminent language-designing friends David Peterson and Lawrence Schoen.

David is the mastermind behind HBO's Dothraki language, while Lawrence is the director of the Klingon Language institute. We will chat, brainstorm and talk shop for an hour. I can only invite two or maybe three people to this hangout. I'm looking (ideally) for people who are working on creating languages and implementing them in a current work of fiction. If you are a conlanger who is interested in applying your conlanging skills to story-writing, this might be a great hangout for you. If you are a writer with a great story that has a language in it that you made up, but that you don't feel is yet linguistically sound, this could be a great hangout for you.

If you would like to attend, please comment below, ideally providing some few basics about what you're working on. I will get in touch with you to learn more about your project and select attendees to invite based on that.

You must be capable of getting onto Google+ in order to attend. However, you need not be a current member of Google+, just willing to sign up for it and try it out before the event so you can attend without glitches. It's okay if you don't have a webcam or a working microphone, though the microphone in particular is a real advantage. If you don't have a microphone, you'll basically be limited to chatting with us by typing - which is workable, but not as easy as just chatting.

I'm really excited to be doing this, and I look forward to hearing about your projects.

4 comments:

  1. I would love to come! I'm not sure if I fit the ideal category -- a book I'm revising has a major sub-plot of a translator teaching someone a language, but mostly I've just figured out the phonology for each language so there can be logical, systematic mispronunciations -- plus a few words and basic grammar. Enough details to make the story work, but not a complete language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested - I have a novel project which involves two countries with two separate but somewhat intertwined naming conventions/languages. Just trying to do a good job keeping things consistent/logical. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leigh and MK, I'll invite you for sure. I've already seen Leigh on Google+ - MK, I'll look for you but it might help if you could tell me your username there. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete